Friday, May 04, 2007

Pope Benedict may be coming to New York!!

"Vatican sources: Papal trip to U.N. headquarters unlikely this yearBy Catholic News ServiceVATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Benedict XVI accepted an invitation to visit U.N. headquarters in New York City, but Vatican sources said the trip looked unlikely for this year.U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told reporters April 26 that during their recent meeting at the Vatican he asked the pope to come "at a mutually convenient time.""I am very happy that he accepted my invitation to visit," Ban said. Attention had focused on a possible papal visit in September for the opening of the U.N. General Assembly. Vatican sources said that date now looked improbable, and that no steps were being taken for a U.N. visit this year." CBS News has this to say about the Pope's visit.

What great news for New York, I hope we can get a date soon, so adequate preparations can be made. Mine, that is. I have to obtain tickets, and from prior experience, I know that it's not easy. As a high school junior, I won a ticket in a lottery at my parish to see Pope John Paul II in Madison Square Garden in 1979. As a young mother, I happened to have a friend with extra tickets because her mother worked in the Chancery, and went to see him in 1995 at Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens. I was disappointed to see empty seats, considering how difficult it was to obtain tickets. Let's hope we get an opportunity to see Pope Benedict.

No comments: