Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Bill Donohue's lampoon

"I'm Catholic, staunchly anti-racist and I support David Duke" is up at Inside Catholic. Here's the reason for the outrageous title:

The following is a tongue-in-cheek reply to Nick Cafardi's article, "I'm Catholic, Staunchly Anti-Abortion, and Support Obama."
Nick Cafardi is on the board of the Franciscan University of Steubenville.

Here's Bill's reply:
I believe racism is an unspeakable evil, yet I support David Duke, who is pro-racism. I do not support him because he is pro-racism, but in spite of it. Is that a proper choice for a committed Catholic?

As someone who has worked with minorities all his life, I answer with a resounding yes. Despite what some say, the list of what the Catholic Church calls "intrinsically evil acts" does not begin and end with racism. In fact, there are many intrinsically evil acts, and a committed Catholic must consider all of them in deciding how to vote.

No comments: