Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Feast of St. Gerard Majella

This patron saint of motherhood and I have a long history together.
During the course of our almost 15 year marriage, Francisco and I have had the honor of conceiving six children. We were blessed to bring three of them, Gabriela Maria, 13, Isabella Maria, 9, and little Christina Maria, 4, into this world. We named them for the first three Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary: Gabriela for the Annunciation, Isabella for the Visitation (Isabella is the Italian version of Elizabeth) and of course, Christina Maria for Christmas.
The other three of our children, whom I miscarried, are now in the merciful hands of Jesus. St. Gerard helped me let them go.
I read something very consoling in that wonderful book by Scott and Kimberly Hahn, "Rome Sweet Rome". Kimberly has lost children too, and was told that, in the Holy Mass, she is especially in the presence of the Communion of Saints, that "great cloud of witnesses"mentioned by St. Paul. So, as any good mother would, she talks to her children then. I always tell my three sons in Heaven, Simeon, Patrick and Theodore to pray for the salvation of their family, so we can at last meet.
And just wait till I give them a hug!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please tell Simeon, Theodore and Patrick about their Aunt Mary and Uncle Joseph.