Saturday, November 11, 2006

Terri Schiavo's Parents Remind Me of Myself

http://www.terrisfight.org/
For the last two weeks, Fr. Frank Pavone's Show "Defending Life" on EWTN featured the parents of Terri Schiavo, Bob and Mary Schindler. They are just ordinary salt-of-the-earth folk, who have been thrust into the national spotlight in their desperate but unsuccessful efforts to save their daughter's life. I felt a chill run down my spine during those awful weeks when I thought that one day this could be me, trying to save my Christina.

I have read their book,"A Life that Matters: The Legacy of Terri Schiavo-A Lesson for Us All" and highly reccommend it to anyone who wants to understand how a nation which calls itself civilized can stoop to dehydrating someone. I thought we disavowed that sort of thing at the Nuremburg trials. That is how St. Maximilian Kolbe died in a Nazi concentration camp.We don't need camps anymore, we have hospices. And abortion 'clinics'.
This brings to mind the quote, "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

No comments: