Friday, November 28, 2008

What have we come to?

A 34 year old store employee was trampled to death by the crowds in a Valley Stream store this morning. I am appalled.
The 34-year-old male employee was pronounced dead an hour after shoppers breached the doors to the shopping center in Valley Stream, Long Island, about 5 a.m. Friday and knocked him down, police said.
Click here for photos.
"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," Jimmy Overby, the man's 43-year-old co-worker, told the New York Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Materialism is the culprit; on the part of Walmart execs who keep upping the ante by offering earlier and more dramatic "door buster" sales, and a crowd too bent on saving a few bucks to care if they killed a man, and nearly overran a pregnant woman. Even when rescue workers were trying to work on the man, they fought crowds.

Up in the tranquil stores in rural Connecticut, my mother, my daughter and I were in several stores this evening, with no trouble. I miss New York less every week.

Read the entire story here at Fox News.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I was always afraid of crowded stores when I was pregnant. Now I know I was wise. This is appalling. I'm glad you have more tranquility up there.