According to Cardinal George's inteview with Ray Arroyo on "The World Over" the USCCB's main objection to the bill is that abortion is funded and there are no conscience clauses for medical professionals, not that the government will be running something that 85% of Americans agree works well; insurance company-based healtcare. Raymond said, and I agree that this government takeover of 1/6 of the economy violates the Catholic principal of subsidiarity (all functions of governance should take place on the level closest to the people involved) but that was not an issue mentioned by the bishops, however we appreciate the bishops' clarity on the crucial issue, respect for human life.
Rush Limbagh in an interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, said that Obama wants to control our every move; where we live, what we drive, what we eat, where we work. He insists that if the health care bill passes, all these things will be tied into health care and therefore come under government control. It's just a massive power grab. He explained how some of the money from the defecit could be used to insure the 12 million uninsured people in this nation who want insurance, without the trillions which are proposed in the health care reform bill.
This bill, if it fails will be Obama's Waterloo. He can expect to be roundly defeated in the election of 2012. Perhaps by a woman.
If it succeeds, I have done my best to oppose it. Have you? Remember my favorite saying, that all that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
1.)I attended the only public Town Hall meeting offered in my Congressional District and voiced my concern that abortion funding will be included in the health care bill.
2. )I traveled to Martha's Vineyard with Rev Patrick Mahoney and Chris Slattery during the President's summer vacation to make sure that he heard my opposition was heard. Watch the video on AirMaria.com.
3. )I have written extensively on the health care bill, both on my blog Causa Nostrae Laetitiae, on Catholics Against Obamacare, and on Catholic Vote.com.
4. )I participated in a prayer vigil on the lawn of the Capitol Building with Rev Patrick Mahoney to voice my protest over abortion's inclusion in health care (see photo).
5. )I traveled to Washington to voice my oposition to the bill, with the group Health Care for Gunner. Watch our press conference on the group's website.
6. )While we were lobbing on the Hill, I met my Congressman Joe Courtney from the First Congressional District in CT and asked him to oppose this toxic bill. I got political doublespeak about how he loves the insurance industry. He better, many of his constuents work in the insurance industry in Hartford, where many corporate headquarters are located. The insurance industry will be dismantled under the Public Option.
Congressman Courtney will receive a copy of this post which will also be on Facebook and Twitter. I have over 1,000 readers a day to inform of his support of this pernicious legislation which Catholic bishops oppose.
6.) I visited Senator Lieberman's office with Healthcare for Gunner delegation, including UNC Neonatology Professor Martin McCaffrey, who voiced our concerns that the public option would not inlucde our children. We spoke with Shoshanna, the Senator's health care assistant. A month later, when I read the news that our voices had been heard, I thanked Senator Joe Lieberman for his wise decision to oppose the public option in health care.
Now, as a Catholic, ask yourself what have YOU done to oppose health care plan which threatens to install Planned Parenthood as a part of the government and use your tax dollars to pay for abortions?
Will you have to explain to your children why you remained idle while our liberties were taken away and the unborn were further targeted for extermination?Will you be able to explain to your aged parents why their request for life saving surgeries has been denied by the death panels?Or why my disabled child was denied heart surgery because she doesn't have a high enough quality of life?
Here is a link to the bishops' letter which was supposed to be in all Catholic church bulletins yesterday. The PDF directs the public to this page, >> http://www.usccb.org/healthcare/ which has an easy to use GREEN BUTTON to click and send a note to your congress people. The beauty of this is that the link does the mailing for you automatically.