Monday, February 02, 2009

Patrick Madrid on Demographic Winter

Sorry, Speaker Pelosi, the facts are NOT on your side. Babies are GOOD for the economy.
Patrick Madrid, on his new blog, describes in vivid detail how the population is in a state of catastrophic decline, having seen the presentation on Demographic Winter.
Celebrated columnist and pro-family leader Don Feder gave a jaw-dropping presentation on the coming 'Demographic Winter' at the Rose Dinner which closes the official March for Life festivities every year. Speaking to hundreds of attendees, Feder suggested that the demographic problem of worldwide declining birthrates "could result in the greatest crisis humanity will confront in this century" as "all over the world, children are disappearing." "In the Western world, birthrates are falling and populations are aging," said Feder. "The consequences for your children and grandchildren could well be catastrophic."
This was also documented by Pat Buchanan in his terrifying book, "The Death of the West", in which he predicts that Europe will be completely Muslim in half a century. Such are the fruits of the Culuture of Death. How many times have our Popes tried to warn us about this? From Pope Paul's prophetic Humanae Vitae to Pope John Paul II's Evangelium Vitae, to Pope Benedict, who addresses this topic frequently we have been instructed to be open to life and stop contracepting. Yet materialism has hardened our hearts. Like my former neighbor, who proudly told me that she was 'done' after one child, since she and her husband had decided to buy a sailboat instead of having a little brother or sister for their lonely son. James used to peek through the pickets of the fence which divided us, at my two daughters playing together in our yard. He had the big boat, all right, but he still envied us.
Once I brought Christina, who was then a toddler to visit Congressman Tim Bishop (D-NY) a pro-abortion Catholic, who was having a town meeting in fabulously wealthy Westhampton. Dozens of retired denizens of Wall Street were lamenting loudly their fears that their Social Security checks might be reduced. (Whatever do they do with such a paltry sum; pay dues at the Country Club?)
Christina and I were waiting for an opening in the clamour to address Rep Bishop's refusal to vote for the ban on Partial-Birth Abortion. Soon, Christina, for whom pulling to a stand was a new accomplishment interrupted the noise with her unexpected giggling. Heads turned to glare at her for interrupting, and I jumped at the opportunity to address the Congressman, "Congressman Bishop, I seem to be disrupting your meeting; let me get a word in, and I'll be happy to leave". I strode, Christina in arms to the front of the room, and asked the crowd if she had a life worth living. I pointed out that her disability is the main reason barbaric practices like Partial-Birth abortion are used. An angry man in the crowd told me to "Shut up and sit down". Since the Congressman looked relieved to get rid of us, I did leave, shooting over my shoulder, "I am a teacher, and the classroom I look out at every day is 1/3 emptier because of abortion. If you are worrying about the future of Social Security, remember that you killed one third of the young workforce which would have been paying into the SS system.".
Jaws dropped, as I turned on my heel and walked out. No one living their selfish lives running after the good life, thinks they are part of the bigger picture. But, like it or not, they are. Each choice we make effects the entire world.
I would have like to be like my friend Mary Ellen, giving birth to my eighth child, but due to multiple miscarriages, I have only three girls. We have to thank unselfish women like Mary Ellen for the wealth of children they have given to this world.
Once, a swelter ting hot summer day at the Bronx Zoo was interrupted by a violent thunderstorm, which cleared out the place. When the brief storm subsided, only three families where there besides mine. All three had more than eight children. All three were deeply religious. They were Hasidic Jews, Muslims from Pakistan, and my friends, an Italian American deeply Catholic family of ten. A thought entered my head, "These people are the future of the world". The secularists are contracepting themselves out of existence.
God will not be mocked. His first command, given to Adam and Eve was "be fruitful and multiply". He has never revoked this. We just stopped listening.

1 comment:

Allison said...

You have put this so well.

I am awed that you spoke up like that without losing it to their "shut up and sit down."

God will bless you for your bravery.