Friday, November 02, 2007

My Child, My GIft Book Review on Catholic Exchange

Monica Rafie, with whom I am writing a collection of stories from Catholic mothers of special needs children, has a book review of "My Child, My Gift" up on Catholic Exchange. She begins her review saying,
Recently I corresponded with Madeline Nugent about the importance of her upcoming book, My Child, My Gift: A Positive Response to Serious Prenatal Diagnosis. In this collection of stories and practical tips for parents, Nugent reaches out directly to parents who are experiencing a different kind of crisis pregnancy. She gently invites them to consider the experiences of those who have carried children with a serious diagnosis. Because parents typically find out about problems with baby mid-pregnancy, they are truly vulnerable to making rushed decisions. These are too often regrettable decisions.
To make matters worse, after a diagnosis, maternal-fetal offices freely give out books and pamphlets that assume parents will terminate. Nugent encouranges couples to slow down, to think, pray and talk with other parents. Her book is like a dose of soothing sanity, a pressure-free source of encouragement and inspiration to guide parents toward life-affirming choices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful book..

Jean Heimann said...

Leticia,

I'm very much looking forward to reading it and would be happy to write a review on it.

Best wishes!