Monday, July 21, 2008

World Youth Day 2011 will be in Madrid, Spain

I was thrilled to hear the Holy Father announce that the next World Youth Day will be held in Spain, for several reasons. First the selfish ones; I have never been to Spain, and have always wanted to go. I learned to speak Spanish 20 years ago, and my daughters will be 18, 14, and 9 in 2011, and speaking Spanish as well by then. I promised them that I would bring them with me as I report on the event.
Now the unselfish reason. Spain, the once solidly Catholic nation that has strayed so far from her faithful roots with same sex marriage, liberal abortion laws and self-destructive low birth rate needs help to return to her once vibrant Cahtolic faith. World Youth Day brings with it a revival of faith in the nations where it is held, and no one seems to need spiritual boost than Spain, the country that evangelized Latin America and gave us the Dominicans, the Jesuits, and doctors of the Church St Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross.
There are signs of spiritual revival in Spain, however. One sign of hope in Spain is the strength of such movements at Opus Dei, and St. Jose Maria Escriva. Students at at Opus Dei secondary school produced this video on why they pray the Holy Rosary.

2 comments:

F. S. Poesy said...

I'm not sure anyone here now will be very youthful in 2111! :] Obviously you mean 2011! I wish I could go. The two times I've been to Avila and the surrounding area were amazing.

Leticia said...

Thanks for the correction Tim! I made the same typo twice.