Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tales from the Front Lines: 40 Days for Life

Our increased presence at Planned Parenthood in Hempstead, NY, has given some of us an opportunity to talk with and listen to local residents.
Tonight a young lady was leaving Planned Parenthood. She told us she didn't believe in abortion, was just there for personal health care. I gave her literature including a little card showing the actual size of her hands at 12 weeks in the womb. She asked if I had a DVD with pictures like that. Fortunately I had a CD in my car that she could use. We got into a discussion of baby development, which led to describing abortion then onto abstinence, self-respect, Planned Parenthood's racist eugenic foundations, post-abortion, prolife help, abortion breast cancer link, and finally encouraging her to get involved.
I've become more acutely aware of how Planned Parenthood has co-opted these communities. We could debate for days what it has that brought these people to this point. But like my father used to say when we'd see some downtrodden broken person, "There but for the grace of God go I."
Sunday, a young lady stopped on her way home from work, running over saying how she's so happy to see us and can she have some literature, she feels God is calling her to do something for this cause. She says her brother's girlfriend had an abortion and didn't tell him til it was over and now her brother is angry and her mother feels like she lost a grandchildren (she did!). And the young lady says, I have a 2 year old son and he's my life and sometimes I think what if I were someone else and I thought abortion was ok... what if I came here and did that to my son....what if I didn't care, her voice quavering. Yeah, exactly - what if... there but for the grace of God go her and her son.
Our success is baby steps of communication - keep praying and keep coming to the vigil so we're able to bridge the cultural divide and tear down the facade Planned Parenthood has built up.
And we still have 20 days to go, so who knows - we may yet see new people filling our vigil hours and churches calling on their faithful to storm heaven with the 40 Days for Life intentions.
On behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves, thank you for your commitment in however you are able to participate.
Celeste Broyles
Long Island Coaltion for Life

No comments: